Scott Mission Camp
is all about

Jesus

Mission Statement

We demonstrate God’s love.
We inspire kids to reach their full potential.
We allow Christ to transform their lives.

Why do we exist?

Scott Mission Camp is part of the larger Scott Mission organization. At the Scott Mission, whether it's through providing a warm bed to a homeless person in the middle of winter, or an almost free week at camp for a child, we desire that our giving would point to God who is the ULTIMATE giver.

More ➝
Objectives

we empower our guests to reach their full potential by…

• Offering them an opportunity to make a decision about their faith
• Helping them recognize who they are in Christ
• Promoting increased self-esteem
• Providing leadership opportunities
• Teaching them to learn and develop life skills
• Integrating them into a multi-cultural community
• Providing families with support and resources

About SMC

Anyone who has ever been to Scott Mission Camp can testify that it is a special place. Since it began in the 1920’s, and since it landed at its current location in 1957, Scott Mission Camp has blessed countless families with the opportunity to send their kids to camp by lowering the financial barriers that can often exist due to the expensive nature of most summer camps.

More ➝

Our Team

We have a dedicated team of staff who seek to love God and love people in all that we do. During the year, we have 3 full time staff who run our year round youth groups, youth retreats, reunions and also our retreat center. In the summer, we have a total of about 50 staff, from counsellors to kitchen assistants, who work to make camp happen.

Adam Brown

Camp Director (in transition)

Matthew Greenwood

Camp Director (in training)

Christy Janssens

Assistant Camp Director

Daniel Mulhern

Maintenance and Property Coordinator

The History of SMC

“Only eternity will tell the number of lives changed through the camp ministry. Perseverance, trusting in the God who promised to provide, and the confirmation of the worthwhileness of camping experiences has kept the camp operating. Regardless of the quality of commitment of a camper’s parents, or the camper’s lack of preparedness to come to camp, each child has received a fulfilling holiday, and heard the gospel, placing with that child unforgettable memories and ethics to build on. We have invested in the future of thousands of boys and girls, many of whom have become productive citizens in their community. Thanks be to God.”  -Annie Zeidman (one of the founders of the Scott Mission)

1920s

The history of Scott Mission Camp, like The Scott Mission itself, can be traced back to the early 1900s. The camp went throughout a number of versions before it got to the one we have today. Though initially conducted at various locations, by 1920 the Scott Institute had acquired two cottages in Grimsby Beach. These cottages were small, primitive and there were difficult times ahead, but the Lord used them for His purpose.

1930s

The 30s brought many European refugees to Canada. While the Scott Institute (former name of the Scott Mission) served their needs during the winter, the camp was a place of rest and respite in the summer. Songs were sung at night in the covered dining area; evenings were a time for everyone to gather for hymns, choruses and Bible talks.

1940s

The 40s brought the founding of The Scott Mission and with it the need for a new camp; Miss Catherine Carmichael offered the Mission a property in Hillsburgh, Ontario. The property was small, about two acres, and consisted of an old house and a small barn. Miss Carmichael was certain that this was God’s will, but faced a lot of opposition from neighbours, her family and her lawyers. She stood firm and plans were made for the summer. On May 24th of that year, just a short time before camp was slated to begin there was a large fire in the house, burning the front half of the house. A needlepoint reading “The Lord Will Provide” survived the fire and now hang in the Chapel at the Caledon camp. This needlepoint gave perspective to the fire and to the task at hand. A bunkhouse was built, an outhouse extended and the camp was ready for campers by summer. Over the years, running water and electricity were added to the house.

1950s

By 1957, the growing number of campers attending Scott Mission Camp prompted the need to acquire a larger property. In light of this need, The Scott Mission obtained the almost 100-acre property in Caledon that remains the current location of Scott Mission Camp. This property has changed significantly over the years. Where meals were once cooked and eaten in the house and campers slept in the barn, the camp has expanded to house six girl’s cabins and six boy’s cabins on separate hills. Meals are now cooked and eaten in the beautifully renovated barn. A pond was added to the property to accommodate canoeing. An in-ground swimming pool was built, and free swim remains a popular daily activity for campers.. Hundreds of seedlings have also been planted to expand the rich pine and hardwood forests that stretch over this large property.

About The Scott Mission

The Scott Mission Camp is part of  larger Scott Mission organization, which is primarily known for serving the homeless population Downtown, Toronto.

God has blessed the mission abundantly over the past 75+ years. This has enabled the mission to continue serving those in need in numerous different ways. The overall goal of the Mission is to serve Jesus Christ as Lord and Master in faith and through effective stewardship, putting the spirit of Christ into concrete, positive action through well-rounded, spiritual and social services to men, women and children where there is a defined need and as means are provided.

Learn MOre